Policies to Support Open Data Marketplaces
29 January 2020 – The Hague, The Netherlands
Welcome to a vibrant research, innovation, development and deployment IoT ecosystem across Europe!
Digital technologies have proven instrumental in enabling innovations across all sectors of the economy. The combination of an open human-centric Internet of Things allowing for new data-driven business models will create opportunities for data marketplaces. The safeguarding of Digital Sovereignty is instrumental to enable an IoT platform economy, shaping European industrial policies to avoid “The Winner takes it All”, setting the standards for fair level playing field, therefore, allowing consumers and businesses to exercise control over their data assets without having to keep the data in silos.
In response to the changing market dynamics, both governments and the industry has taken action by putting forward appropriate instruments. With legislation such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Free Flow of Non-Personal Data Regulation, as well as by updating sector specific regulations such as the Payment Service Directive 2 (PSD2) relevant for the finance sector governments have taken first steps to foster a vibrant data economy that provides for equal opportunities for all market players. Also, certain markets have demonstrated interest by taking sector specific initiatives, such as the adoption of a Code of Conduct on agricultural data sharing.
The Workshop on Policies to Support Open Data Marketplaces – Data Sharing in IoT Ecosystems, Data-supported Services Concepts & Best Practices (‘Workshop’) will tackle opportunities for data-driven services in sectors like mobility, farming and energy. It exploit use cases from the IoT Large Scale Pilots funded under Horizon 2020 and extract key elements of a striving data economy in those sectors, most important to present the underlying architecture design and setting the standards for fair level playing field whilst supporting innovative business models.
The discussions will identify the main challenges for IoT data value chain, regarding data-driven services, data flows including data classification, data sharing, data life cycle, digital rights management, personal data protection and present best practices from different IoT Large-Scale Pilot projects and sectors.
Special attention will be paid to building consensus among stakeholders in vertical and horizontal value chains on principles of data sharing, possibly paving the way for the establishment of a code of conduct applicable across all sectors. Regulatory issues across different domains (digital, energy, mobility) with links to national initiatives will, also, be addressed.
This Workshop is part of a series of IoT events related to data marketplaces. The event is organised by the CREATE-IoT project as part of the IoT Large-Scale Pilots Programme with support from DG Connect and Alliance for IoT Innovation (AIOTI) as the co-hosts of this event.
The Workshop will take place on 29 January 2020 back-to-back to the Data Sharing Days, 27-28 January 2020, in The Hague, Netherlands, for which a special discount arrangement is available for the attendees of this Workshop.
For more information and registration contact: email@example.com
Additional information and references:
- Dutch vision on data sharing between businesses
- The Energy Data Access Alliance
- The Alliance of IoT Innovation – AIOTI
- Data Sovereignty – Innopay 2019
- CEMA: EU Code of Conduct on agricultural data sharing
- GAIA-X: A Federated Data Infrastructure as the Cradle of a Vibrant European Ecosystem
- IDSA: The Principles: basis for a data marketplace based on European values
- OECD: An Introduction to Online Platforms and their Role in the Digital Transformation
- Cross-Cutting Business Models for IoT, PWC 2018
- AIOTI Whitepaper: Did we just reach the Mobility sector Data Marketplaces tipping point?
- AIOTI Whitepaper: What could be the architecture that unlocks the true value of IoT-enabled Data Marketplaces?
- IMF – The Economics and Implications of Data – An Integrated Perspective, 2019
- European Industry Partnerships Lighthouses to Thrive in the New Digital Age – 05 November 2019, Brussels, Belgium
- Digital Energy Marketplaces, 17 September 2019, San Domenico di Fiesole, Italy
- European Industry Partnerships for New Digital Age Event – 12 September 2019, Brussels, Belgium
- Large-Scale IoT & Data Marketplaces conference, 08 April 2019, Brussels, Belgium
- European Industry Partnerships Collaborative Event – 17 April 2019, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Workshop Open Energy Marketplaces & Enabling Technology, 08 March 2019, Brussels, Belgium